Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Chang Chun Itself

Changchun looks like Mexico. The colors, the concrete construction, the conspicuous lack of green space. It is the third world trying to climb up. Poor people starting to see some of their number make some money. After passing tenement style housing we get tot he bus station, a few blocks from the train station and I take a stroll to see what is around. Shops are everywhere. the first floor of every building, almost, has stores and what look like apartments above. I walk through a mall, outside of which some sort of hip-hop dance performance is going on. It is Labor day weekend for the Chinese. I buy a belt and try to haggle over the price and, for what seems like the twentieth time, the sellers won't have any of it. 35 yuan for a belt seems a bit much to me. It is only $4.50 but this is China. I buy it anyway. I ask a cab driver if he knows McDonalds, he doesn't. I smoke a few cogarettes and stroll through the open stalls in the mall again. I ask another driver for "may don la", my best guess at a chinese approximation of the English pronunciation. KFC is, after all, "ken dan gee". This time i've got it right. I sit and enjoy my big mack meal and watch from the second floor a presentation in front of a jewelry store. models in slinky, tight dresses take turns standing around, like models, and flashing rings on their hands. Many people stand and watch.

I wander the city for a few hours, alone. We are required to sign out of the Academy and to travel with someone else but i forget this weekend. I feel pretty safe and conspicuous. Everyone is nice and though most people stare a bit no one is obnoxious. They are more used to foreigners here. I think i am getting used to being "special" to drawing attention and it feels almost as strange when i don't as when I do. Being an extreme minority is quite the experience. The rampant consumerism is starting to wear on me as I walk through a huge indoor mall with Armani, D&G, and other absurd brands that are most likely knockoffs, if good ones. I passed a "ANMANI" shop ourside the mall. Prices here are marked but I know that people must still bargain because they seem much higher, still not too close to american prices but high. I begin to yearn for a place where bargaining is not involved in practically every purchase. Fast food, the train station, and the grocery stoor are about the only places where bargaining is not essential to avoid being ripped off. Please can't someone do it for me. It is exhausting and even if you get the price cut in half you still don't feel great about yourself. I was so fed up i paid 50 yuan for a hat and didn't bargain one bit.

I met my fellow student travellers at a Five star hotel constructed, seemingly, out of marble and red carpet. It was pretty awesome but the decor was forgotten as we sat down to an "all you can eat" buffet. Chefs were on hand to cook steak and fish any way you likes as well as sushi chefs to keep the plates full of rolls and sashimi that melted in your mouth. I ate pasta, salmon(blackened and baked), steak with real blue cheese, squid, and deserts by the plate and by the bowl. Icecream with chocolate sauce, fruit yogurt puddings, cakes, and a chocolate fountain to dip fresh fruit. I stuffed myself till i almost passed out. It was amazing, the highlight by far. A close second was the game of bowling we played before dinner. I crushed everyone as they don't bowl much, but wasn't it great to hear those pins even on this side of the world. We hit the clubs for a few hours that night and I danced to some popular hiphop and we had fun, then I slept in a hotel room with six other people and after a bit of shopping and a two-and-a-half hour train ride standing between cars i was back at the Academy for some rest. Si Ping will have to suffice for my travel destination for a while, I spent more than any three weekends previous on this blowout. It was worth it.

Hope all is well in the land of the Free, I hope the English accent i speak with most often here doesn't linger after I get back. I can't help it, surrounded by Brits as I am. Peace y'all.

4 comments:

HEM said...

You tell such wonderful stories, my love. Reading your blog (and hearing your voice) are the highlights of my day.

Chang Chung sounds like it was a fantastic city, regardless of its obvious Westernization. I miss you so much and cannot wait to see you... in a long time.

I love you.

Luke said...

What's up buddy? How's life in the great way beyond? Sounds like a great place to visit. Hey Do they have swords there? HAHAHA Just kidding. Can't wait to see you again. I guess we are hanging out with meredith soon, We are looking forward to that. I think we should have a fight when you get home my sword vs. your boomerang. ;) Hope all is well Luke

Bill Wade said...

Chris-
I'm thrilled to read your experiences; keep them coming. It's reminding me a LOT of my recent visit to Easter Island (plans are in motion for me to go back thre to conduct a residency Feb 08). Globalization on the Island of Rapa Nui (Easter Island) looked like a young man with many tatoos wearing traditional regalia (loin cloth with chicken feathers and colored lava ash making patterns on his lean body) sitting bare-back on a horse while talking on a cell phone. Weird.

I look very much forward to reading more on your blog; thank you for your email with its address. I'll share that with the dancers of Inlet Dance Theatre.

You are loved! Can't wait to see you again and give you enormous hugs and kisses..

Bill Wade

HEM said...

1. I like your British accent (as you know).

2. I check this often; can I request more frequent updates?

3. Miss you...